The Government of the Republic of Panama, in response to the new modalities of work worldwide, among these, remote working, considered it appropriate to create this subcategory within the Non-Resident Visas.
Executive Decree No. 198 of May 7th, 2021 (hereinafter, the “Decree”), published in the electronic Official Gazette on May 20th, 2021, creates the Short Stay Visa as a Remote Worker.
- This visa will be granted to those foreigners who intend to work remotely within the Republic of Panama for a period of nine (9) months, renewable once for the same period.
- The foreigner who applies for this Visa must meet, in addition to other applicable specific requirements, with the following prerequisites:
- To (i) have a work contract with a foreign transnational company, or be a (ii) self-employed worker, in the remote working model.
- Perform duties that have effects abroad.
- Receive income from a foreign source and with an annual amount not less than USD 36,000.00 or equivalent in foreign currency.
- Have a valid medical insurance policy, with coverage in Panama.
- For its renewal, the foreigner must meet the same requirements submitted with the first application.
- Once the short stay visa is approved, it will not be necessary to carry out additional procedures or obtain authorizations from another governmental entity.
- If the foreigner were to represent the foreign company for local activities in Panama, the Short Stay Visa will be canceled.
- This Executive Decree became effective as of May 20th, 2021.