The General Directorate of Multinational Companies Headquarters through the Communication Note No. 1 of January 12, 2023, indicated that as from this year 2023, the Ministry of Labor (hereinafter “MITRADEL” for its acronym in Spanish) will begin to receive work permit applications for dependents of SEM executives, in accordance with the provisions of the law and open to the categories that they can apply according to their immigration status, as long as they met the work permit requirements established by the labor law, as follow:
- The work permit application for dependents of SEM executives can be submitted in the special office of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (hereinafter “MICI” for its acronym in Spanish) two (2) times per months from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- During the first semester, the work permit applications will be received in the following schedules.
- Prior to the beginning of the second semester, they will define whether it is necessary to increase or decrease the number of days per months, according to the demand.
- The originals files will be kept in MITRADEL, and an authenticated copy will be kept in the special office of MICI to internal process and the corresponding files.
- Any person who has a residence permit as dependent of SEM executive can apply for a work permit under one of the existing categories in the Immigration -Labor law of Panama.
- The authorization for dependents of SEM executives, to apply for a work permit, was established by the , which modified the Law No. 41 of August 24, 2007 (SEM Regime), however, the application of the law was not yet started.
- Before, dependents of SEM executives cannot apply for a work permit, so in order to work they had to change their residence permit category.
- To apply for a work permit, the dependent of SEM executive must meet all the requirements established for the work permit category that is chosen.
- The dependents of SEM executive, who obtain a work permit, will be able to work in Panama and they will be subject to the payment of income tax, social security and education tax, in accordance with their salaries.
- The work permit application for dependents of SEM executives will begin on January 20, 2023.