Our Banking and Finance team possesses broad expertise and has participated in numerous financing transactions acting on behalf of both creditors and debtors. The Morgan & Morgan practice focuses mainly on drafting loan (debt issuance) and security documentation associated with complex financing transactions, setting up leasing and factoring facilities and managing all legal aspects related to banking acquisitions and mergers (including tender offers for publicly traded banks).
Our experience includes not only transactions involving private entities but also public ones, as well as having participated in some of the landmark public infrastructure finance transactions, such as representing multilateral institutions in connection with the financing of the expansion of the Panama Canal, the US$2 billion financing of Line 3 of Metro de Panama, one of the most significant public infrastructure projects in Panama; the financing Project Gatun, a natural gas-fired power plant and one of the largest private infrastructure projects in Panama; among others.
As for banking operations, we have assisted many banks and financial institutions in the process of obtaining licenses (banking and fiduciary) as well as ongoing regulatory assistance related to their operations in the country.
- May 23, 2023 | ICLG Lending & Secured Finance 2023: Panama Chapter.
- November 30, 2022 | Morgan & Morgan Legal advised Republic Bank Limited in connection with a loan facility for an amount of up to US$32 million.
- October 20, 2022 | Morgan & Morgan outstands in The Legal 500 Latin America 2023.
- August 30, 2022 | Morgan & Morgan outstands in Chambers Latin America 2023.
- August 23, 2022 | Latin Lawyer 250: Highly Recommended
- June 13, 2022 | IFLR 1000 Banking and Finance: Top Tier
- April 30, 2022 | Morgan & Morgan among the five most renowned law firms in Central America: WWL Central America 2022.
- December 14, 2021 | Morgan & Morgan Partners recommended by the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA)
- December 1, 2021 | Morgan & Morgan Legal advised Avianca Holdings, S.A. and its subsidiaries, in connection with its financial and corporate restructuring process, implemented to emerge from Chapter 11 proceedings in the United States of America.
- October 26, 2021 | Morgan & Morgan achieved the highest number of practices and lawyers ranked in The Legal 500 Latin America.
Chambers & Partners
"Respected practice fielding a team of experienced practitioners to advise on trusts, financial leasing operations and syndicated lending for the financing of infrastructure projects. Offers additional expertise in regulatory banking matters. Extensive client list composed of top local and multinational financial institutions."