Decree No. 19 of March 08th, 2022, published in the Official Gazette on March 8, 2022 (hereinafter “The Decree”), establishes a Visa for Transit Passenger for foreigners of Cuban nationality traveling through the Republic of Panama to another destination or return to their country for a period of three (3) months and dictates another provision.
The most relevant measures included in this Decree are:
- The Visa for Passengers in Transit established was as a requirement for foreign citizens of Cuban nationality who travel in transit through the Republic of Panama, to another destination or return to their country, for a period of three (3) months.
- The Visa for Passengers in Transit for Cuban citizens may be granted for up to a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours and only authorizes the immigrant to remain in the international transit area of the airport, to continue their trip to another destination or their country of origin.
- This visa must be requested personally by the applicant before the Panamanian Consulate of the country in which they are located, with a minimum period of fifteen (15) business days prior to the travel date.
- The cost of this visa will be the same established for the regular tourist visa, which is USD 50.00, in accordance with article 315 of Executive Decree No. 320 of August 8th, 2008, modified by Executive Decree No. 26 of March 2 th, 2009.
- To request the visa for Transit Passengers, the applicant must provide the following:
- Visa application form for Transit Passengers, with all the required information.
- Two (2) passport size photographs.
- Complete copy of the passport, with a minimum validity of six (6) months.
- Air ticket reservation with itinerary for the continuation of the trip.
- Copy of the ID card of the country of residence, valid for at least six (6) months.
- Proof of payment of the consular fees.
When a minor requests this visa, it must be made by one of their parents, who must provide the authorization of the other parent, or guardianship duly accredited of the minor.
Once all the requirements have been verified, the Panamanian consul of the country in which the applicant is located, must send the information through the technology that the National Immigration Authority has for such purposes.
The National Immigration Authority, according to the information received, will communicate the approval or rejection of the submitted application, which will be sent to the Panamanian consulate through the technology that has for such purposes.
The National Immigration Authority establishes the Visa for Passengers in Transit for foreigners of Cuban nationality for a period of three (3) months.
They established the requirements that must be submitted to apply the Visa for Transit Passenger for foreigners of Cuban nationality.
The requirements for the transit visa must be submitted to the Panamanian consulate of the country in which the applicant is located, the Panamanian consul will share the information and the National Immigration Authority will communicate the approval or rejection of the visa.
The decree entered into force as of March 8th, 2022.