The Ministry of Health has temporarily suspended the entry to Panama of persons coming from the United Kingdom and from the Republic of South Africa due to the new strain of COVID-19.
Ministry of Health:
- By means of Resolution No. 1390 of December 21, 2020, (hereinafter “the resolution”), published in Official Gazette on the same day, the Ministry of Health has suspended temporarily the entry to Panama of persons coming from, that have stayed or transited through (i) the United Kingdom or (ii) the Republic of South Africa, within the last 20 days prior to the entry into Panama, whether they do so by air, land or sea, using commercial or private means.
- Panamanian citizen and residents who arrive in Panama from those countries, under the conditions indicated above, must do the following:
- (i) Take a compulsory PCR or Antigen Test upon arrival.
- (ii) Remain in quarantine in a hospital hotel, regardless the results of the test, for the time that will be determined by the health authorities, in order to verify that they have not been infected by the new strain of SARS- CoV-2 (COVID-19).
- This suspension will enter into force as of today, December 21, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
- This measure is taken due to the new strain of SARS- CoV-2 (COVID-19).
- In accordance with this resolution, the entry to Panama of Panamanians and residents, with a resident permit ID card either approved or in process, will be allowed en as long as they follow the measures indicated above.
- The Civil Aviation Authority, the National Immigration Authority and the Police can adopt any measures that they deem necessary to comply with these measures.
- Tourists are excluded from this Resolution, therefore they will not be able to enter the country until this measure is lifted.
Ministry of Government suspends all international flights temporarily
EXECUTIVE DECREE No. 244 OF MARCH 19TH, 2020
By means of this executive decree, published in the Official Gazette as of March 19th, 2020, the Ministry of Government suspends all international flights temporarily.
- All international flights arriving and departing from Panama are suspended for thirty (30) calendar days, as of 11:59 p.m. from Sunday March 22th, 2020, for public health reasons.
Aspects to be considered:
- This executive decree complements the measures taken by the government of the Republic of Panama to avoid and mitigate the pandemic declared by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The suspension measure applies to all commercial and general flights.
- The suspension period may be extended on the merit of the information provided by the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Panama.
Morgan & Morgan contributed to the first edition of the Latin American corporate investigations guide
Panama, January 31, 2020. Partners Inocencio Galindo, Ricardo Aleman, Kharla Aizpurua Olmos, and associate Joy Paull Torres contributed with the first edition of the Latin American investigations guide, a frequently asked questions for conducting corporate investigations in various jurisdictions on Latin America.
This publication of the international law firm Hogan Lovells provides an overview from leading legal experts across the region.
The publication is available here.
Or a PDF version (Panama Chapter) is available to download here.