Chambers & Partners
"Practice head Jose Carrizo benefits from over 20 years' experience in disputes. He frequently handles civil litigation matters for domestic clients, also offering experience as counsel to international companies in arbitration proceedings. A client says: "He is a great lawyer whose advice I trust implicitly."
Jose Carrizo is a Partner and heads the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department of the firm leading a team that advises clients extensively in the area of commercial litigation, corporate dispute resolution and criminal law. Mr. Carrizo has been involved in complex matters, especially in the fields of civil, criminal, administrative, commercial, banking, insolvency and insurance law.
In the course of more than 20 years of practice, his experience covers all kinds of litigation proceedings contemplated in Panamanian law before the different jurisdictional organs of the Republic of Panama including civil, administrative and criminal courts.
Furthermore, Mr. Carrizo has substantial expertise in both domestic and international arbitration processes. He has served as arbitrator in the National Arbitration and Mediation (NAM), based in New York. Mr. Carrizo has also acted as an expert witness before national and international arbitral tribunals and courts.
He has been involved in complex matters and leading important processes regarding corporate insolvency and restructuring, refinancing advice, debt and asset recovery worth several million dollars.
His client portfolio includes renowned private companies, banking and financial entities, governmental entities and multinational corporations in a broad array of local and international disputes.
Mr. Carrizo has been recommended as a leading individual in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 in the area of Dispute Resolution.
He has also served as a speaker at conferences related to the arbitration and is the author of several books and publications on a wide range of legal issues related to this topic.
Mr. Carrizo is also involved in pro bono activities as he assists regularly to Legal Open Houses organized by the firm in very low-income communities to provide free legal orientation on subjects such as family law, domestic violence, labor law, immigration, litigation, among others.
Mr. Carrizo is graduated from Universidad Santa María La Antigua in Law and Political Science (1996). In 2003, he completed his Master’s Degree in Universidad Externado de Colombia, in Bogotá, specializing in Civil Liability.
Jose Carrizo is admitted to practice law in the Republic of Panama.
09 MARCH 2023 - Morgan & Morgan Legal advised Minera Panama, S.A., in negotiating a Refreshed Concession Agreement with the Government of Panama for the Cobre Panama Project, the largest private investment in the history of Panama.
- 27 OCTOBER 2023 Morgan & Morgan outstands in The Legal 500 Latin America 2024.
- 24 AUGUST 2023 Morgan & Morgan outstands in Chambers Latin America 2024.
- 04 AUGUST 2023 Morgan & Morgan outstands in WWL: Central America 2023.
- 20 OCTOBER 2022 Morgan & Morgan outstands in The Legal 500 Latin America 2023.
- 30 AUGUST 2022 Morgan & Morgan outstands in Chambers Latin America 2023
- 30 APRIL 2022 Morgan & Morgan among the five most renowned law firms in Central America: WWL Central America 2022.
- 26 OCTOBER 2021 Morgan & Morgan achieved the highest number of practices and lawyers ranked in The Legal 500 Latin America.
- 03 SEPTEMBER 2021 Morgan & Morgan achieved the highest number of rankings for Panama in Chambers Latin America.
- 27 MAY 2021 Jose Carrizo participates in the Asset Recovery Americas conference